Dr. Roundy’s Green Drink
Since I was a young child, my Mom would make a green drink for us almost every night. For me, I’ve always enjoyed green drinks and now that I have my own children, it’s very enjoyable to see them request green drinks. In fact, they enjoy chopping and preparing the vegetables for the drink – it’s my 6-year-olds favorite kitchen task!
The green drink I grew up on is different from the one listed below – there are many recipes out there and the one provided below is our favorite concoction:-) Don’t be afraid to experiment with your own recipe.
While a regular blender will work well for most people, some ingredients have a hard time getting fully blended (i.e. celery). We use a VitaMix and am thrilled with the results – there isn’t any vegetable it can’t blend. If you’re in the market for a new blender, I recommend looking at the VitaMix.
- 1 or 2 apples, cored
- 2 or more big handfuls of spinach
- small handful of chopped parsley
- 1 or more celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small chunk ginger root, peeled (We peel it, cut into chunks and keep in a baggie in freezer, ready to go)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 medium cucumber
- Add water (for blending) until it’s not too thick (our kids drink it through a straw)
Optional: Bell pepper, carrot, garlic, whatever else sounds good.